Forming an Opportunity Belief Assignment 4A
Forming an Opportunity Belief
by Jenna Jaeger
I believe an opportunity exists for creating a product that will keep your lip balm from melting.
First, the unmet need is that no company makes their lip balm in a container that won't keep it from melting. Anyone who uses lip balm needs this if they live somewhere where it is hot, or if they leave it in their car, or if they keep their lip balm in their pocket. This need came from my whole life in Florida. When I was a kid, my lip balm would melt in my backpack. When I could drive I would leave a lip balm in my car and even when it is not summer it would still get too soft to use. No one is doing anything to meet this need. They are simply just waiting for their lip balm to solidify after it has melted. I say, confidently, that this opportunity is at 95 percent.
The prototypical customer is anyone who uses lip balm.
My first interview is with my roommate. He is 18 years old and I've see him use lip balm at least once a day. After my first interview I found out that he uses lip balm mostly in the winter and he doesn't discover it melting too often. Upon further questioning he told me he simply buys another lip balm when his melts. I think that because lip balm is relatively inexpensive that people probably do buy another one. Personally, I think that is bothersome.
My second interview is with a friend. She is 20 years old and she is on acne medication that makes her lips very dry. She is never caught without lip balm. After my second interview I found out that she buys certain lip balms because they have higher melting points. She is always trying to find somewhere inside to sit and study if possible because her lip balm will melt all over her backpack. She is someone who relies on lip balm and because of that takes it more seriously.
My third interview is with my grandma. She is 63 years old and she has everything in her purse including lip balm. She told me her lip balm in her purse usually doesn't melt, but she keeps a tin in her car with lip balm. She said it still gets soft but easier to put on than a stick version.
From my interviews there is still a big opportunity for containers that won't melt your lip balm. I see that it's not a huge problem but still very beneficial.There is a huge benefit to changing the opportunity after talking to customers. What bugs one person might not bug another. It's important to know what matters to others.
by Jenna Jaeger
I believe an opportunity exists for creating a product that will keep your lip balm from melting.
First, the unmet need is that no company makes their lip balm in a container that won't keep it from melting. Anyone who uses lip balm needs this if they live somewhere where it is hot, or if they leave it in their car, or if they keep their lip balm in their pocket. This need came from my whole life in Florida. When I was a kid, my lip balm would melt in my backpack. When I could drive I would leave a lip balm in my car and even when it is not summer it would still get too soft to use. No one is doing anything to meet this need. They are simply just waiting for their lip balm to solidify after it has melted. I say, confidently, that this opportunity is at 95 percent.
The prototypical customer is anyone who uses lip balm.
My first interview is with my roommate. He is 18 years old and I've see him use lip balm at least once a day. After my first interview I found out that he uses lip balm mostly in the winter and he doesn't discover it melting too often. Upon further questioning he told me he simply buys another lip balm when his melts. I think that because lip balm is relatively inexpensive that people probably do buy another one. Personally, I think that is bothersome.
My second interview is with a friend. She is 20 years old and she is on acne medication that makes her lips very dry. She is never caught without lip balm. After my second interview I found out that she buys certain lip balms because they have higher melting points. She is always trying to find somewhere inside to sit and study if possible because her lip balm will melt all over her backpack. She is someone who relies on lip balm and because of that takes it more seriously.
My third interview is with my grandma. She is 63 years old and she has everything in her purse including lip balm. She told me her lip balm in her purse usually doesn't melt, but she keeps a tin in her car with lip balm. She said it still gets soft but easier to put on than a stick version.
From my interviews there is still a big opportunity for containers that won't melt your lip balm. I see that it's not a huge problem but still very beneficial.There is a huge benefit to changing the opportunity after talking to customers. What bugs one person might not bug another. It's important to know what matters to others.
I myself have never experienced this issue but I am sure that if I had, I would not be very pleased. I am also not a frequent lip balm user, so I need to try a little harder to see this from the view of the prototypical customer. I do not fall into this category of customers but agree with your statement about caring about the things that “matter to others”.
ReplyDelete