Celebrating Failure Assignment 26A
Celebrating Failure
by Jenna Jaeger
A past time I have failed this semester is at work. A little background information is that I work at a restaurant and we have shelves that are high that I have to refill once or twice a week. I am too short so I have to use a step-ladder to refill them, so it takes me a long time. I also have small hands, so when stocking these shelves, I have difficulty holding onto everything in my hands.
So one day, while I was refilling the shelves, I slipped and fell and dropped over 50 plastic lids all over the floor and twisted my ankle. I ended up spraining my ankle and bruising my ego pretty badly. I went back to work determined not to drop anything. I tried holding fewer lids, balancing them on the palm of my hand, and a few other methods to get these shelves filled as efficiently as possible.
I was taught that I just needed to slow down from this experience. I was being clumsy in other aspects of my life and once I sprained my ankle my doctor told me the clumsiness could be caused by stress. I decided to just take a deep breath and slow down a little when stocking the shelves and I haven't dropped anything since. It's become fun for me to not drop anything, like a little achievement of my day.
Failure is hard especially when it's in front of other people. My coworkers weren't tracking my progress, but my embarrassment was at a peak and I felt like I had something to prove. I handle failure pretty hard at first. I definitely mope about it for a day or two before realizing I can change it. This class has taught me that recognizing failure and finding solutions are closely related. Not everything will come out a success and this class has taught me that. I would say this class has made me more of a risk-taker than a few months ago.
by Jenna Jaeger
A past time I have failed this semester is at work. A little background information is that I work at a restaurant and we have shelves that are high that I have to refill once or twice a week. I am too short so I have to use a step-ladder to refill them, so it takes me a long time. I also have small hands, so when stocking these shelves, I have difficulty holding onto everything in my hands.
So one day, while I was refilling the shelves, I slipped and fell and dropped over 50 plastic lids all over the floor and twisted my ankle. I ended up spraining my ankle and bruising my ego pretty badly. I went back to work determined not to drop anything. I tried holding fewer lids, balancing them on the palm of my hand, and a few other methods to get these shelves filled as efficiently as possible.
I was taught that I just needed to slow down from this experience. I was being clumsy in other aspects of my life and once I sprained my ankle my doctor told me the clumsiness could be caused by stress. I decided to just take a deep breath and slow down a little when stocking the shelves and I haven't dropped anything since. It's become fun for me to not drop anything, like a little achievement of my day.
Failure is hard especially when it's in front of other people. My coworkers weren't tracking my progress, but my embarrassment was at a peak and I felt like I had something to prove. I handle failure pretty hard at first. I definitely mope about it for a day or two before realizing I can change it. This class has taught me that recognizing failure and finding solutions are closely related. Not everything will come out a success and this class has taught me that. I would say this class has made me more of a risk-taker than a few months ago.
One thing you should always remember is that it doesn't matter who sees you fail, the point is that you learn from it and grow as an individual. I am a server too, and I have dropped stuff on my way to getting it to customers as well, so I can relate perfectly with your failure. You are a really intelligent girl and I know for sure that you know how to accept failure and don't make the same mistakes over again.
ReplyDeleteI think it is really good that you learned from your failure. Your experience reminds me of the quote: slow and steady wins the race. I try to use that motto when I do everything from personal projects to school work to long distance running. When I rush through school work and projects I usually make more mistakes so I try my best not to and when I am running for a few miles I do not sprint because then I won't have enough energy to run the rest of the miles.
ReplyDelete