Reading Reflection 2 Assignment 21A
Reading Reflection 2
by Jenna Jaeger
The general theme of the book is self improvement. I think Guy Kawasaki wants everyone to have the chance to become the best version of themselves. He proves in this book that you can be better by following his advice.
The book connected to the class in many ways. The biggest connection I saw was the social media aspect. This entire class is based off having a blog. Many of the tips given in this book could benefit my blog posts. Becoming an entrepreneur, as proved by our previous assignments, is about who you know and who you are. This book offers ways to become better and how to show others you are better.
If I had to come up with an exercise for this class linked to the book, I would choose to create a professional twitter account. I know that some classes already do this at UF, but I think it would be beneficial to students to know how to network on social media in a professional manner. The tips in the book will also help students improve their own social media accounts.
My 'aha' moment came early in the book. The most shocking thing was that he wanted your avatar or profile picture to be asymmetrical. I found this odd because I've always centered my profile pictures. He argued that it makes your picture look more interesting when it's the size of a postage stamp on your computer.
by Jenna Jaeger
The general theme of the book is self improvement. I think Guy Kawasaki wants everyone to have the chance to become the best version of themselves. He proves in this book that you can be better by following his advice.
The book connected to the class in many ways. The biggest connection I saw was the social media aspect. This entire class is based off having a blog. Many of the tips given in this book could benefit my blog posts. Becoming an entrepreneur, as proved by our previous assignments, is about who you know and who you are. This book offers ways to become better and how to show others you are better.
If I had to come up with an exercise for this class linked to the book, I would choose to create a professional twitter account. I know that some classes already do this at UF, but I think it would be beneficial to students to know how to network on social media in a professional manner. The tips in the book will also help students improve their own social media accounts.
My 'aha' moment came early in the book. The most shocking thing was that he wanted your avatar or profile picture to be asymmetrical. I found this odd because I've always centered my profile pictures. He argued that it makes your picture look more interesting when it's the size of a postage stamp on your computer.
I also read Guy Kawasaki's book The Art of Social Media. I am very picky about the books I read but I actually enjoyed reading this one. I also found that the tips given in the book would be helpful for our class blog posts. I like your idea about the professional twitter account. For my exercise I thought it would be cool to do a Google+ Hangout on Air for each group in the entrepreneurship class.
ReplyDeleteJenna, I also chose to read to the Art of Social Media by Guy Kawasaki. And like you the biggest connection I had to the book was the social media aspect. I learned different ways on how to be effective on social media when running a business. In addition, I also learned that even on personal pages you should remain professional. I think this is best because when hiring some companies look at your personal social media pages to learn more about you.
ReplyDeleteJenna,
ReplyDeleteI saw Martha's post and liked it but now with yours I really need to read this book. It goes further more than just a simple social media page that we use on a daily basis. It has its personal, professional and even educational part of it. I also recommend the book I read "Makers: The New Industrial Revolution," I feel you'll like it. You did a great job, amazing post!!