Reading Reflection No.3 Assignment 27A

Reading Reflection No.3
by Jenna Jaeger

1. I was surprised the most about how resilient Gabrielle was. With such a hard upbringing, many wouldn't have seen her success. I admired her spirit. I did not like that she was so secretive about her past, like she had something to be ashamed of. When faced with failure, Gabrielle pushed on.

2. Coco Chanel had many competencies. She is one of the first females to establish a business that was so successful and continues to be so successful.  Her competencies include her optimism, her intelligence, and her design spirit. She is optimistic in my opinion because she kept looking up after she failed. She is intelligent because she was raised and educated in a convent for part of her childhood. Her design spirit is what set her apart form others.

3. I was confused throughout the whole book when the author elaborated on how her past is kept hidden, and how Gabrielle had people not share things about her past. As a well-established woman, I would think she would be proud of her past and have no regrets. Her failures can be lessons for all girls or even her business failures can be things others can learn from. I think it's confusing that she would want to keep it hidden. I can see that she might have felt secretive because of the time.

4. I would ask her what her limit was. She undoubtedly sacrificed a lot to become the well-established icon she is today, and I would really like to know how far she would go. I would also question how she kept going in times when she didn't think anything could get better. It's argued in the text that Gabrielle even lied to herself about her past and that shows some deep emotional problems on her end, but I would like to know if she had an answer.

5. I think Coco Chanel's idea of hard work is working hard and putting in the time. It is evident that she put in a lot of time into her work. It would be interesting to ask her what she thinks hard work is.

Comments

  1. I read Cognitive Surplus for my reading assignment so it did not really dive into the personal lives of someone the way that the book about Coco Chanel seems to have. You seem very curious and interested about her past that, according to this book, she kept very hidden. I think you should definitely do some more research from other sources and see what you can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenna great post. I previously did a peer review and found the story of Coco Chanel very interesting. It is amazing how she was able to establish her business despite the negative cultural environment she was in. I too find it weird that she did not discuss her failure as most successful people in the business world emphasize that failure is a crucial step in becoming a successful business person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway Reflection Assignment 14A

Figuring out Buyer Behavior No. 1 Assignment 12A

Testing the Hypothesis Assignment 7A